Sunday, August 8, 2010

First possible 5k.

So, alot of the amazing people I blog with run. I started running during the first couple months of my weight loss journey but now since I stay home and do my workouts in the garage, I go on the elliptical. Sometimes I'll take a jog around the block but for the most part, I haven't really just ran in a while. As I've been reading blogs and looking at pictures they post before and after races, it looks like they are having so much fun. I miss being competitive ever since high school. Sports were my life. I want to get that competitive nature back and I can do that by racing.

My sister has been bugging me all summer on trying to find a 5k to run before the end of summer. Yet, I've put it on the back burner because of number of excuses. I think I have found a my first 5k to run. It's at a huge church just down the street from my house. I think know this is my first 5k. I am nervous to sign up because of how much I haven't run. I think I might just do it to get the nervousness out of the way. What do you guy and gals think?

My first 5k


Any words of wisdom?

11 comments:

  1. My advice? Just do it! Seriously- you will feel SO AMAZING afterwards. There's no reason for you NOT to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was thinking. Just pull a nike and JUST DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just do it is freaking awesome advice. Awesome advice I should take too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Emily. Just do it! What do you have to gain? Self-confidence and bragging rights. You've got this, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a great idea. You can do it and it will be a great gage for what you need to work on and improve on for the next one. Sounds perfect for your competitive nature. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt exactly the way you do, until I just up and did my first 5k. Which led to a few more and than my first 10k. Now I'm training for my first Half Marathon. I'm overweight and working on it, but I've found that training for a race, is just what I need to keep that competitive DRIVE alive, when it's sometimes not easy :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally do it! You will be addicted by the time you cross the finish line. Remember to have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, signing up for my first 5k. Thanks to everyone who commented- I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GO FOR IT! You can totally do it...if you can spend 2.5 hours at the gym working out, a 5K will seem like a warm up. As you know, I've taken up "running" and at first it was worse than horrible - I had pains and aches everywhere (joints etc.) however, those all went away over time. AND - I was MUCH, MUCH bigger human being than you. My first three mile run, I think I weighed close to 300 lbs. You shouldn't have as many "joint" pains etc. Now that I'm a svelt 244 (and counting), the running has gotten easier and easier. I ran 19 miles last week and have run 6 in the last two days.

    There's no doubt in my mind...if you put your mind to it, you'll accomplish this goal.

    GET AFTER IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Thanks Aaron! That's an awesome post. I'm excited to start running more and more :D

    ReplyDelete