Thursday, August 26, 2010

Any Last words of Wisdom.

My first 5k is on saturday morning! I am excited, nervous, anxious, etc for this race. So many emotions. You may ask why? Well, to tell you the true- I remember saying out loud, "I will never run for fun". I remember being 231 pounds and thinking, why do people run? It's so boring. Plus running isn't fun. Running is something that skinny people do. I remember walking to class in college and going up a flight of stairs made me lose my breath. I remember thinking to myself, how did I let myself get so big. Looking back at pictures from 6 months ago, I can't believe I thought I was in good shape. I wasn't. Running for the past 3 weeks has been so awesome for me mentally/emotionally. Never would I have thought that I would be signing up to RUN a 5k. Never would I thought I would ENJOY running. Never would I think I would weigh under 200 pounds. Things change. You change. People always say something is impossible. It's impossible to lose weight. It's impossible for me to work out with a schedule like this. It's impossible for me to eat right. Nothing is Impossible. You make something impossible- when it can actually be possible. To all of you who think you will never like running. I was there. I had that in my head all growing up. Until 3 weeks ago- I got my ass of that stupid elliptical and actually went for a run. I enjoyed how calming it was, how I got to be by myself, I got to think about different things and I went where my feet took me. Running has changed me. It may take a while for others to find out they like to run- it took me 20 years. But I finally found it and it has been awesome.

I got two more days until the first 5k of my life. I know many of you have ran 5k's before. What is one thing you would like me to know about the race. It can be anything- I want to hear from you. Any last words of wisdom for this noob?

13 comments:

  1. Pee before the race. Then try to pee again. If you get a race shirt don't wear until after you're finished (its a rite of passage). Don't start up at the front you'll get trampled by the more experienced runners. If its timed no need to run up to the starting line. Go to the middle or back of pack and walk to starting line. This will help with any "oh my god I'm running my first race" jitters. Cross the starting line with your head held high and think about all the people that will never even try running and let that carry you for the next 3.1 pace yourself with people in front of you. Pick a target and move in. Remember you're probably someone's target so give them a good chase.

    And finally Miss Molly when you see that finish line you smile and run to towards it and think this thought "Tara loves me and wishes she could be here to watch me cross the finish line" then when you're done go tip a 40 for your homies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am not a runner and I have no advice to give, but I just had to pop in and say: WAY TO GO! I'm right around what you describe as your starting point, and reading this was so motivating. No matter how you do, just the fact that you DID it speaks volumes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara- I'm going to be thinking of you the whole time I run. You were a huge factor in the start of my journey. You were the first person to welcome me and you encouraged me to try running out. You honestly are my hero.

    BetterNextTime- Thank you! You can be a runner too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too did my first 5K this summer and another in August, make sure you have somewhere to store your car keys if you don't have someone with you to hold them for you, I pinned mine to the inside of my shorts for the first one and bought a waist pack for the second one, eat some protein about and hour before the race, stretch out, have someone get your picture at the start and end if you can, and stay away from the front of the line, the last 5K I did the top guy finisher did in 15 minutes...crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running my first 5K will likely never happen (doctors say "no running" and I tend to listen to my doctors) ... so do me a favor and if at any point during the run you think of not finishing, keep going for those of us who won't ever be able to start ... and if you have to walk some of it don't beat yourself up because that's the only way I'll ever get to do a 5K and that's absolutely okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really proud of you. I hope tomorrow is fantastic for you!!!! I'll send you positive vibes! :) You should be very happy and proud of yourself for doing this. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never ran one before but am planning too soon. Actually to be honest I am planning on walking but will pleasantly surprise myself if I run a bit. LOL. I felt well...feel just how you described feeling about running! But you sound so in love with it! I want that! I can't wait to hear the debrief about how it went when you are done. I know you can do it. Just be proud of the progress you have made and do your personal best and I am sure you will feel like a million bucks when you are done! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not really sure what to say. I found your blog through my friend Seth's blog (fitwithapurpose)I am running my first 5k tomorrow too! I am very nervous too. I know, from other sports, that doing things like this is mostly mental. Believe in yourself and allow your training to carry you through the finish line. That is what I am planning anyway. I look forward to reading about how it went! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone! The comments are great :)

    Matthew- Where are you running your race?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you kick some tail today! Just enjoy the race! Race to finish, not for time. Have fun!

    Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got home from my 5k. I ran it in Memphis, MO. 26'35! yes! I was shooting for a sub28 and definitely hit it. I am about to blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I am just starting my blog too. Whats the name of your site- hook a sista up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my blog is called Voyage of Discovery over at animatedwithpurpose.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete