Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Set Backs

Have you ever had a set back? I think we can all answer yes to this question. Many times a set back is something that is not good in our lives. Many of us have different types of set backs but we all know the feeling can be upsetting, over-whelming, anger, hate, and sadness. I recently suffered a set back in my weight loss journey. I weigh myself every saturday morning. I stepped on to the stupid scale, crossing my fingers every time that I lose at least a pound. This morning, that scale did not treat me well. It said that I gained three pounds. That ruined my day. A stupid little machine like that made me so upset. It's not the first time this has happened to me though. About two months ago I went to a friends apartment for a birthday party. I was there for a weekend and of course I wasn't eating good plus I was drinking beer. When your trying to lose weight, beer is not your friend unfortunately. When I got home and stepped on the scale, I had gained three pounds in a matter of one day. Pissed? You bet I was.

The thing about losing weight, is that I didn't want to give up everything that I liked to eat. First off, losing weight is not fun, no one likes to lose weight. So why should I have to suffer? Now I'm not saying that I eat everything I love everyday. No, I eat or splurge every so often. Eating right and exercising are the main keys in successful weight loss.

That next week, I busted my butt during my workouts and I was exhausted. When I got on the scale that next saturday it was awesome. I had lost five pounds! It felt so good to be back on track. I would have to say that set backs for me are what drive me to want to work harder. Yea, it would be nice to never gain weight in a week, but for me I know it will happen. It's a psychological game. If you gain some weight, oh well just get back to working out and do what you do or you can mope around and keep gaining weight. It sucks, gaining weight when your trying to lose weight SUCKS! But you have to stay strong and keep working hard. I was mad at myself for gaining weight. But I would be even more mad if I just quit and let the scale beat me. Stay strong and never give up!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad those set back drive you to work harder. I know that sometimes a set back can make things worse. I am going to try weighing myself just once a week. I have gotten into an obsessive habit where I weight myself more than once a day...it's just terrible. I'll let you know how that goes! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mols!
    I'm so proud of you Such a great thing to do. I use the BodyBugg which is really helpful. I don't have the bennys of your dad so my trainer kicks my butt. If you want a virtual workout partner let me know:) xoxoxo Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just started reading your blog and I am loving it. I totally understand. I come across setbacks all of the time. In the past I have just sat back and let it take me over, but after a 2 pound gain this week I need to follow your advice and work extra hard this week, even if it is finals time!

    ReplyDelete