Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not the Typical 'Fat' Girl.

Hello to all!

My name is Molly and I am "Fat". That's what all the charts say, my doctors says and books say. I grew up being big all my life. Interestingly enough I grew up in a family that played sports- softball, tennis, golf, track, soccer and basketball. Sports was my life growing up and what I was good at. Some of the athletic accomplishments I have had are, being the state Free-throw champ in 5th grade, in high school I was voted Most Valuable Senior Athlete and went to the State Track and Field meet 3 out of my 4 years in shot put and discus in high school. Not the typical "fat" girl resume.

In high school my weight grew as I got older as does it for most people. But for me, it was different. I graduated high school being 5'8'', 225 pounds. I am 20 years old now and recently transferred from a four year school to a tech school. The reason: to lose weight. I new if I stayed at the college I was at, I would end up being 250 pounds or more.

The turning point for me was when I stepped on the scale at my YMCA and it read 231. I felt ashamed at what I had done to myself. I let myself get this big. From then on I told myself that I would devote the rest of my life to living better and I am deciding to share my journey with others. The reason for this is because I have been touched by many stories of weight loss without even knowing it. I believe that it was a sign for me that I needed to get my act together or I would be going down a path that would lead to health problems and possible early death.

Weight has not only been an issue for me in my family but for 2 of my other siblings. I live in a big family. My dad ironically enough is a gym teacher and strength and conditioning coach. My mom, my brothers Cal-25, Matt-24, Mark-15 and my sister Megan 22. My brother Cal grew up a chubby kid like me. He reached almost 300 pounds in college and then he lost a lot of weight and now people think he's a model. ( He's engaged girls, sorry) My sister Megan was never really fat or overweight growing up but she too in college lost about 50 pounds over the course of year and literally was too skinny. Her weight loss affected her body by turning her skin a yellowish tint. We found out her iron levels were very low. She put on about 20 pounds and is doing well.

This is the first time that I am blogging. I guess I popped my cherry,woohoo! Anyways, I didn't want to write too much this first time. I will get more into my weight loss journey in my next blog. Hope you guys and gals come back for more. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly. Welcome to the world of blogging your weight loss. Saw your comment over at 344 and wanted to stop by and say good luck on your journey. Keep us posted!

    ~ Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your journey Molly. Our Family is all full of fluffy people and so glad you are blogging about it. Love you. Your Aunt.

    ReplyDelete